A St. Patty’s Day Recipe of Corned Beef and Cabbage
Channel your inner Irish and make a traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage for the perfect St. Patrick's Day feast.
What You'll Need:
- 1, 3 lb. (pre brined) corned beef brisket, including spice packet
- 1 large red or yellow onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped (including leaves)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Step 1: Add your chopped veggies to a 6 quart pot.
Step 2: Add the corned beef brisket to the pot and cover with water (1 inch over the meat). Bring to boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 hours, undisturbed.
Step 3: 20 minutes before the corned beef is done, prep the cabbage:
- Heat olive oil (or butter) in a large sauté pan over a medium-high flame
- Add the onion and cook until golden 3-5 minutes, then the minced garlic
- In batches, add cabbage slices and cook until they wilt
- Once all of the cabbage is in the pan and wilted, add one ladle of corned beef cooking liquid. Once the liquid fully evaporates, reduce to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes or until completely soft.
Step 4: After three hours of cook time have passed, gently transfer the corned beef (without the liquid) to a platter and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, and cut against the grain, into 1/2 inch slices. Serve over the cabbage, with a ladle of cooking broth.
All photography by Karen Biton-Cohen