10 Ways to Surprise Your Valentine Around the Home
Nothing says “I love you" like recognizing your significant other with random acts of kindness. Taking the time to say how much you care about them is important, both on Valentine's Day and all year long. And don't forget, Valentine's Day isn't just for couples. Treating your parents, aunts, or best friends with acts of love is a wonderful way to show them you care. Although flowers and chocolate still rank high for Valentine's Day gifts, think about all the things you could do around the home that show how much you are thinking of that person. Best yet, many of these gifts won't cost anything but your time.
- While your sweetheart is in the shower, put their towel in the dryer for a few minutes to warm it up. Add 1 – 2 drops of your favorite essential oil (like lavender, sweet orange, or neroli) directly on the towel before drying for an even sweeter surprise.
- Finish that painting project. Whether it's repairing holes in the wall and touching up paint or re-painting the bathroom, get some supplies and dedicate an afternoon to getting it done. If you'd rather this be a surprise, hire a painter and get your Valentine out of the house for the day.
- Empty out all of the garbage cans around the home and put in fresh liners. While you're at it, take a second to spray the inside of the can to remove smells.
- Change the batteries in the smoke alarms. Although not the most romantic gift, making sure your loved ones are safe is a very generous gift. Purchase and install new alarms if they are older than 10 years. Read these tips for more information about smoke detectors.
- Get out your gloves and scrub brush and clean your outdoor grill. With grilling season coming up, this is the perfect time of year to get it prepped and ready for cooking.
- Write love notes on a sticky pad and leave a trail of love letters. Place one on their keys, in the purse, on the door, on the car window…these notes will make even the un-special moments of the day feel special.
- Stock the fridge. Supply your Valentine with their favorite drinks, favorite fruits, or other favorite foods.
- Instead of one big bouquet of flowers, try filling up as many vases as you have around the home with inexpensive flowers or shapely branches for a beautiful winter bouquet. Group them all together for a large statement or place one in each room of the house.
- Hire a housecleaner. If you don't regularly use a professional cleaning service, it would be a special treat to get the home thoroughly cleaned. Added bonus: treat your honey to an afternoon out while the housecleaners are working.
- Plant a tree. Trees grow slowly and steadily, they become stronger over time and they benefit their surroundings – what a perfect symbol of long-lasting love. This gesture would be an attractive feature in your yard for years to come and actually adds monetary value to your property (find out how much here).
Originally featured on Porch.com